How to Clean & Maintain Walk-in TubsSeptember 25, 2020
Are you the proud owner of a walk-in bathtub? Perhaps you’re thinking of installing one in your home and you’re wondering about upkeep? Either way, keeping your tub clean and maintained is essential for safety. It also helps get rid of bacteria that may result in infections.
Use this guide for cleaning walk-in tubs:
Selecting Your Cleaning Solutions
There are several cleaning solutions that work for bathtubs and showers. What you use comes down to personal preference. Some prefer to use store-bought options while others may opt to make their own solutions.
- Oil-based solutions aren’t recommended, but you may use a few drops of essential oil for aromatherapy purposes.
- You may choose a store-bought gentle spray cleaner or a foaming cleaner such as Kaboom or Scrubbing Bubbles to clean surfaces.
- Another option is to fill a spray bottle with one-part vinegar and one part water.
Tools of the Trade for Cleaning Walk-in Tubs
Once you have your solution, you’ll need to select your tools to help with the removal of buildup.
- Do not use wool scrub brushes in walk-in tubs or walk-in showers. This can ruin the look of your bathroom remodel.
- Sponges and scrub brushes are safe and effective at removing buildup.
- Using dry microfiber towels can help with wiping down your tub when you’re finished cleaning. It picks up soapy residue which helps keep the tub cleaner over time.
Deep Cleaning a Walk-in Tub
Daily cleaning and weekly cleaning will prevent residue buildup and keep your tub looking new. However, deep cleaning each month is recommended for the cleanliness and functioning of your bathroom. You can do this by:
- Fill your tub with warm water until it hits the first jet
- Add 1 cup of bleach to the water (Be warned that bleach can create harmful and sometimes lethal fumes if it’s mixed with other cleaners.)
- Turn on the jet system and let it run for 15 minutes. Turn it off and drain the water.
- Refill the tub with warm water only (no bleach), allowing the system to run for another 15 minutes to rinse out the plumbing.
- Drain the tub and rinse with the showerhead.
Contact Your Experts on Walk-in Bathtubs
If you need help with cleaning or you need walk-in bathtub installation, don’t hesitate to contact us with questions or for a quote.